Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"Over time, things change"

When I was younger, maybe 12 years old, I used to believe in that absolutivity of that statement, because to me, every day meant new challenges, new things to learn… a constant shaping process of my life.

However now that I’m older, I realize that such is not always the case. Time itself may cause many things to be different than they were before, but change, or transformation as the Bible talks about, is not something that naturally happens with merely the passing of time.

Over the last few years, the church has begun notice a definitive need for re-alignment within its core structures and goals. Perhaps, in the last few decades we have focused extensively on being good Christians, on making ourselves perfect, on “allowing” God to bless us and make us prosperous people, all so we can support the work of the Kingdom of course! Now, I begin to see more and more teaching about the heart of God, about his transforming power, about letting his love completely change us, and through that power reaching the world. I read about admitting to our brokenness, of confessing our sins to one another, of being a body of Christ, of mercy, justice, the breaking down of socio-economic barriers, about being a family... Perhaps it depends on which churches you listen to, or the denomination you’re in… but slowly we’re waking up to the fact that alone, we can’t do what God has called us to do… but only through abiding in him can we change.

Over time, through God, we change… and that’s the truth.

No comments: