Wednesday, October 8, 2008

a long silence

So... I haven't really felt that I've had anything really of note to blog in the past few weeks... indeed it's been 21 days since my last post... a full 3 weeks... and even my mum started to worry. She was most relieved when I responded to her e-mail, even if it was 3 days later than my usual instant response.

Nothing earth-shattering, or even interesting to talk about really... I suppose as I move closer to that "leaving" date, things start to slow down and even my relationships with people start to change. Once again I'll be moving on from one place... and it makes me wonder if I'll really be doing this my whole life. In this latest move, my last earthly point of reference, family, was gone... and really, truly, the only constant in my life... is God...

(I mean seriously, the water tastes different, the food is WAY not the same... and the air is so much dirtier here...)

I suppose being human, I need more than that... and God has very graciously provided for me, especially over the last few years, despite all my mistakes... but one of my friends here said I think about marriage too much, even at my young age, and after thinking about it... for almost a week now... I'd have to disagree. Marriage is the single biggest decision of your life, after choosing to love Jesus, and that's more of a response than a choice... relationships and stuff takes more self-prep, self-understanding, wisdom, and of course a miracle from God (cause honestly why would any amazing girl would go for a guy like me? Yes that was a joke ;).

Marriage/relationships/girls don't consume my thoughts, or my life, or even my actions for that matter (though they do take up a large number of my conversations) ... and I think it's important to be searching... For "A wife of noble character who can FIND? She is worth far more than rubies" (Prov 31:10)

Cause I'm sure any girl would agree with me, it is not good for man to be alone... often guys left to their own devices do stupid and silly things...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just enjoy your life. Thinking about marriage when you haven't even got a girlfriend can be very counterproductive to that.

It's good to know what you want and how you want things to be, but when you find that special someone, I guarantee you a lot of that will change depending on who she is and what stage of life you are in at the time. You could never assume to know what you're going to want in 5 years time, or 10 years time and spending a lot time thinking (or talking) about it now is only going to cause you to miss life now, as you experience it.

Take it from someone who knows, find someone you like, date them for a while then decide if you can even put up with their annoying habits for the rest of your life. If you get past that, then think about what it might be like to marry them. Planning for it now is only going to idealise your views on marriage and give you a very stereotyped 'knight in shining armour' perception of what marriage will be like and my friend, you will be sorely disappointed when it actually comes about.

Knowing you want to get married and knowing you can be committed to one person your entire life is a great and admirable thing, but I agree with your friend, leave it at that and just enjoy the smaller things in life coz those smaller things won't be so noticeable when you do finally get married.

I speak only from experience; can you guess who I am? =)

InteGR7 said...

Well my first thought was Andrew... but since it's not... and Allen doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment... and Albert doesn't read my blog... I have no idea... lol.

Anonymous said...

Who said it was a guy?

I'm more curious to know what you think of what this person said... =P

Anonymous said...

it wasn't me.

I'll be seeing you soon enough and we'll have a good conversation then =)

Still processing everything from the last 2 weeks...

InteGR7 said...

I just feel that it's a guy... although to be honest I did consider the possibility...

It could be Auntie Lillian or Auntie Mei :P hahah or my parents O_o... but it sounds like Peter Luu (though he's also not married):P or Irwin... but he doesn't read this does he?

Anonymous said...

hahaha... you still think too much.. =P

....good to see some things don't change.

and you STILL haven't said what you thought of the comments...