Friday, November 21, 2008

The Dragon's Island - Part 1


I never really thought of why I have that image within my mind of what Hong Kong is like. Perhaps it's Dragon's Back, my favorite hiking trail... or how ridges, of all sorts, wind their ways through the sprawling metropolis that is the gateway city... or maybe, just maybe, it's something deeper, spiritual, more sinister.

In my mind, I see a beautiful land, with colorful lights, glittering people (because of all the jewelery you see), luscious greenery, incredibly convenient public transport... yet also I see depression, materialism, greed, lust, shame, adultery, isolation, poverty, blindness, the very weapons of our enemy, trying to establish his control over this critical city of 7 million odd souls. When I look at that place with my spirit's eyes, I see pain, loneliness, fear, anger... the very person that I was, and in some ways still am, reflected in those shimmering neon signs and empty, broken eyes... I see myself... without Christ.

Yet I look, and behold, there are many lamp stands, scattered throughout the city, bowls of radiance that are even now being uncovered. There are hundreds of torches being lit, every day, kindled by the very Spirit of God. When I look at Hong Kong, I see hope, I see faith, I know there is family, there is life, indeed there is love, for our God, and for the people around us!

When I think of Hong Kong, I see a spiritual battle field, ground churned with the feet of a thousand warriors as they struggle across the broken landscape. Their aim, their goal, is to stand, to resist, to advance forcefully! Yet it feels like a losing battle, one that can never be won, that we know will last a very long time, that we despair of even surviving. Yes we know that the victory is won, yet how often do we slide back through the slick mud, earth wet with the blood of our brothers and sisters, failure and hopelessness in our hearts.

Truely Hong Kong is the Dragon's Island, and indeed all that we toil, that we know, that we do in this world is vapor, it will vanish, it will pass. All earth will fade away, and then, what will be our account? What will be our life's work? At that moment, when we stand before that Throne, what will we hear? What will I hear? Is that enough, truly, honestly enough, for me to run as I know I ought?

For me... I don't know... but I am hoping that you have an answer... for your own life...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The heart and spirit of a warrior.

Go forth into battle, knowing that the war is won. Conquer not with violence and bloodshed, but with compassion, humility and love.

InteGR7 said...

Man... who writes these awesome, if mysterious messageS?!

~michi~ said...

ohh.. this comment, you mean...

I could try to come up with something equally amazing sounding...

... but the strains of Phantom of the Opera songs are running into my ears =)