Monday, March 2, 2009

Re-Entry

It's strange how subjective the desire to write can be, truly such an ethereal and whimsical impulse... it's no wonder that writer's block is both possible AND common... it's like the very stars must align before one can produce anything of substance or significance... and I can bear personal testimony to that.

... I wonder if I sound like that in real life...

Anyway, for those of you still following my journey, I'm back in Melbourne, undergoing the many thrills and joys of "re-entry" or "reverse culture shock", a thoroughly enjoyable and fun filled process (please read much sarcasm in that last statement). For the past 2 months now, I've been trekking blithely around Asia, living off the charity of others, and what small amounts of money I can scrape together (refer to previous post for further elaboration). However now the journey is at an end, and I am once again back to where I started. Melbourne, safe, quiet, sunny and ultimately boring (no offense intended).

So, now what?

That's a VERY good question, one for which I wish I had a God given answer (but unfortunately I don't). For the time being I'm applying for jobs, mostly IT related, in Melbourne, while trying to find some to apply for in HK and Malaysia. I'm also looking into getting a TESOL/TEFL certificate, so I could teach in HK if I find a position.

Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out, if I do indeed stay in Melbourne, which church to go to, and where I can serve... these are interesting times. At the same time, emotionally, it's not easy, as no matter where I move to, I'll be apart from close friends, and family... it sorta sucks being a "global gypsy" as my cousin likes to call it.

I will say honestly, that my friends in Hong Kong are generally more similar to me, especially in terms of stage in life (they're all around my age) and theology of God, in reality they are true spiritual siblings, my brothers and sisters, and I started to miss them even before getting on the plane.

My friends in Australia are way beyond cool, as are the many aunties and uncles who give me advice (and also read this blog) but most of them (my friends), the close ones at least, are A: older and B: moving to a different point in life (ie somewhere within the next 2 years, the marriage part). Which while cool, isn't quite where I'm at (despite several comical attempts on my part...). That, coupled with the fact that HK is way less boring and requires less capital investment to get going (I need to buy a car, or at least a bike if I stay in Melbourne) would see me leaning towards going back to HK.

However in all things, no matter what seems logical or what I want, God's will, His plan and path, His direction come first. While I'm not sitting on my hands doing nothing, I know that He will make my path straight, and be a lamp unto my path. Wherever He leads me, I will be grateful, and it will be for my good, according to his good, pleasing and perfect will.

So there you have it, where I'm at right this moment. Feel free to cast your votes, cause as you may know, I've easily swayed by public opinion!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you posted!

the idea of global gypsy appeals, sometimes more, sometimes less, but always there's that niggly back-of-my-mind feeling of wanting to go... where to? I don't know... anywhere but here... should that bother me?

my sense of 'home' lies in people, not places and thus far I've accumulated a few 'homes' I can visit around the globe, a little like your HK/Melbourne/Malaysia, perhaps?

I'm sure that as always, God will lead the way, whether it be through a blazing column of fire, a still, small voice or a meandering walk down the garden path...

Anonymous said...

They were not "comical attempts", but "premature and yet sincere attempts". No need to make joke of yourself.

Check out CELTA for TESOL/TEFL certificate.

My vote is...Melbourne. It seems God brought you back to Melbourne and that's where He wants you to be now.

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." - Jim Elliot

InteGR7 said...

Seriously why do people love to make anonymous comments?!?!? I really should just turn the option off... *sigh.