Thursday, September 13, 2007

Complications and Setbacks

Unlike the average Eddings book, not every story has a straight forward plot or obstacle free road. This path, the one of destiny and adventure, is often fraught with danger, uncertainty, challenges and setbacks. As the Japanese seem fond of seeing... this is reality. However not to stress... certainly not on my account, for greater is he who is living in me then he who is in the world. Remember that God works all things for the good of those who love him and who are called to his plans and purposes. So basically... if you're following his plan, you have nothing to fear.

As of this moment, my initial plan to leave on the 23rd has been officially scrapped for reasons pertaining to Visa procurement. Australians ARE allowed 90 days in HK without a visa for strictly tourist reasons. I was hoping to use that time to get used to the city and the church while my visa was being processed. After all... this is a complete change of lifestyle, support networks, church, friends, social status... and even of location, language and culture. A big shift.

However it was not to be... and on the inside I agree with the decision handed down. As Christians we must strive to uphold and obey the law... and if I went to a country without a visa and even once worked there... it would compromise my faith. Not in a big way... but there are no "Little" sins... sin is still sin. Plus, it's entirely possible that I might have gone and been "caught" (although I was planning NOT to work during that time) and thus had my visa denied... or my visa could simply have taken too long and in the end have cost more money.

The short version is that I'm not going yet. Nor do I know when exactly I will head off (this feels familiar). However I am confident in my God... who is watching over me and guiding this part of my life. There is obviously some important reason why this is happening... and he knows what it is, that is good enough for me.

So for the next month (probably anyway) I'll be back where I was... waiting.

It will be a bit strange telling everyone that I haven't left yet. However, I trust that there is a greater purpose behind this.

If anyong reading this has a good idea of what I should do for the next month... let me know.

1 comment:

~michi~ said...

looking forward to hearing about this next year in the life of a Josh =)