Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Inspiration

You know, I'm beginning to understand why people have blogs... it's because the inspiration just hits you, at completely random times, and you want to just share what divine, or otherwise, revelation that you have received from on high... or from the depths of your twisted imagination, either one...

For me? Well, it's pretty lame... and rather obvious... but the bug has bitten and now I must write.

After being in Australia for a couple days (well almost a week actually) I've reached a point where I'm able to compare, what I like about HK vs what I appreciate about Melbourne.

Of course this is liable to be quite long, and so, because I have to sleep fairly soon... well we'll see.

Hong Kong. To sum up in a single paragraph, HK is a place, where people from all around the world leave their safe and secure western homes and come to experience a life that is full of adventure, pace as well as trial. It's a bustling metropolis that is the gateway to Asia, a focal point of trade and commerce, and a melting pot of Christians from around the world. With each new person in this remarkably transient city comes a new thought, new idea, and as such Hong Kong is constantly changing, always evolving and never dull. I think that's what draws me there. It's a city of adventure, at least for the time being, one which I have yet to master, conquer or even begun to see. A place of opportunity, a chance to make an impact, essentially a clean slate for someone as ambitious as I.

On the flip side you have Melbourne. A safe haven, a shelter for the weary, a port of peace; well for me anyway. My friends are here, my family, my house, my car, my relationships and ultimately my happiness. Melbourne is a city with nice weather, nice shops, nice people who speak my language, nice food and amazing air, not to mention drinkable water. It's a place where you live contented lives in a blissful security, removed from the cares and troubles of the world.

Now the comparison between the two comes down to a choice. Would I choose a life of adventure, change, impact, fulfillment, joy, trials, pain, sickness and loneliness over one of contentment, happiness, health, wealth and safety? Should I?

What would you do? Heck, what would Jesus do? ;)

In all honesty, I know what direction I want to go... but I just don't know if I could last.

Oh and this isn't at all a bad reflection on the people I've met in HK... who are very cool, fun, godly and kind. Obviously it's hard to replace 7 years of my life in Melbourne in 6 months, so this is just my current situation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Would I choose a life of adventure, change, impact, fulfillment, joy, trials, pain, sickness and loneliness over one of contentment, happiness, health, wealth and safety?"

Are they mutually exclusive? Is the former attractive because it is exciting? Perhaps I'm biased, given my perspective and preferences for new things.

Is it not *more* of a challenge to step out of our comfort zone here, in a familiar environment than to be thrust into the midst of a bustling, foreign culture, where we have no choice but to adapt?

Where is God calling your heart to?

Jesus would ask his Father. And he had both. He had the challenges, the trials, the pain, the joys that accompanied his ministry... but he also had his times of retreat, his close friends, his prayer...

Wherever your path may lead, walk closely with our God and *he* will be the source of true contentment, fulfilment, happiness, joy and security... and it'll definitely be exciting and challenging, no doubt!

InteGR7 said...

Hmm... wonder who this is?

Well in this case, I believe they are mutually exclusive, because one choice involves me being here, and the other being over there. That said, I would hope that at one point in my life, both would converge, if but for a moment, in a single place and calling that God has for me, while allowing me to be surrounded by friends and family.

In regards to the actual challenge of stepping out here vs HK: perhaps the difficulty of finding an opportunity or need within Melbourne would be greater, yet even so, the friendship, buffering, safety, that would all be here as well.

In contrast, not only are there more opportunities and needs over there in HK, but also the challenge of merely functioning at your best capacity while your emotional and physical needs are not being met by the people/environment around you. In essence the loss of safety leads to a reliance on God, strengthening faith. This would easily apply to anyone, not just myself.

Indeed you're right (whoever you are =D), the question is really where is God's will for my life to go... and I would be honest and say that at this very moment, I don't know exactly. I know he has great plans for me, but I can see ways that either city could prepare me for the dreams that God has placed in my heart.

Anonymous said...

name change? was that recent or have I only just noticed?

InteGR7 said...

Recent :) I've stepped out... now I gotta keep going!