Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What am I?

You know many people will often say stuff along the lines of "it's not only who you are that counts, but what you do that defines you." (That's a BB quote... sorta) Of course there are often other people (normally Christians) that can believe "as long as I have it all working alright on the inside, what I do doesn't really count." Saved by grace and all that.

While we are saved by grace, I would be more inclined to think along the lines of the first statement. While I know WHO I am... JL (or Integr7 for you online people) and all that comes with that name (a touch of over confidence, lots of talk, a heart for the generations etc etc..) I recently began to wonder WHAT I do. Strangely enough I've never considered this as a deep question before. However a few catch ups with some people over here got me thinking.

One of them said that when I introduce myself, or talk about myself over conversation... the list of what I do seems quite extensive. Youth Pastor, writer, dancer, gamer, cook... to name but a few. While I personally think it might have to do with being slightly insecure and over compensating by telling everyone else how cool I am... he might have a good point. What I do can reflect where I believe I'm headed in life... what my purpose and drive is.

Course my housemate further compounded on this by talking about being a jack of all trades and master of none. That's probably one of the bigger differences between us. He's chosen to master some of his hobbies, his work and his music. Where else I will take any new skill up the point where I feel that I've attained a certain level... then I just lose interest. I mean how many of you were completely shocked when I quit Magic the Gathering? (that Card game I played a few years back). I tell you the truth... I just got bored. = P The important part is that I can play with anyone else who wants to play, talk about it with them, and teach others to play too.

I think that's the crux of why I do what I do. Teaching. The main criteria for having
"Reached" that point in my life is being able to teach it to others... and being able to teach a lot more then what is commonly available. As such I think that's what I want to do with my life. No matter what my job title, position, location or status, I believe that God has given my the gift to teach others. As such, in all things, I want to be a Child of God first (Who I am) and teacher second (What I do).

So you can all call my Rabbi Josh :P Hehehe. Kidding.

No comments: